How the Future of SEO Likely to be Shaped by User Experience?
Search engines are undergoing changes by leaps and bounds these days. Their algorithms are becoming more and more exacting and sophisticated. As such, meeting the objectives of higher search rankings and more clicks has become challenging for search marketers. They are now focused on providing the most relevant results both in terms of content and user experience.
As the search scenario is becoming more and more challenging and competitive, search marketers have to incorporate a number of aspects in addition to tags and codes. They need to give their undivided attention to user experience (UX) for driving success of their SEO efforts.
What search marketers should do
Search marketers have to broaden their SEO approach by placing greater emphasis on user experience across a wide range of owned assets. The two areas pivotal to making this a reality are explained as below:
- SEO needs to incorporate user experience: Search engines like Google have always placed weights on user experience for achieving search engine success. This focus of search engines is likely to increase in the future. Agencies and teams have to focus on creating better user experience by developing user-friendly websites and incorporate it into their SEO strategies to drive higher page rankings and attracting greater traffic.
- User experience must go beyond a linear approach: As machine learning is becoming prevalent, user signals will drive search engine rankings more than anything else. User experience has to go beyond the linear approach where an appealing homepage and tabbed content or infinite scroll pages comprise the website design. For SEO efforts to reap results, user experience should be data-driven and should reflect a journey that commences at different points on the website.
Integrating user experience and SEO
As the future of SEO is likely to be shaped by user experience, it is becoming essential for agencies to integrate SEO and user experience teams. Aligning SEO and user experience to achieve common goals is both beneficial and profitable. Agencies can reap the following benefits by bridging the gap between the two teams:
- User-friendly and search-friendly site – Since the UX team focuses on creating user-friendly and navigable websites and the SEO team focuses on driving page ranks and traffic, merging efforts of the two teams would help in the creation of websites that are both user-friendly and search-friendly. With this, agencies can leverage the skills of both teams and achieve the common goal of driving online brand visibility.
- Data-driven user experience decisions – SEO experts rely on data to identify search patterns of users. Their data answers “Who is searching” and “What is being searched”. Aligning them with user experience helps developers in taking design decisions based on such data. Moreover, insights from such data are fused into the site experience that drives organic performance of the site from the very beginning.
- Creative problem solving – More often than not, developers are faced with SEO-related issues while creating websites. Without the help of the SEO team, identification and correction of such issues become difficult. However, when the two teams work together, identifying issues related to each team becomes easier. Both teams can come up with creative solutions to address such issues and pave the way for a seamless user experience.
- Reduced post-launch errors – The error page or broken link that irritate users is not solely an SEO issue. A lot of user experience factors also contribute to such errors. Aligning the efforts of both teams helps in developing websites accurately and impeccably from the first stage of development. When their efforts work together, the final website is usually free from errors. As a result, users get a smoother experience while navigating the website.
As competition to get more visibility and traffic is increasing in the search engine realm, integrating SEO with user experience pools expertise and helps marketers to deliver better results. For productive collaboration to take place, both teams should count on each other for getting insights and coming up with seamless website designs. For SEO to drive visibility and traffic, agencies have to focus extensively on user experience. Thus, it can be said that the future of SEO will be largely shaped by user experience.